Saturday, November 04, 2006

Political Ettiquete No. 1

Okay, a couple of weeks ago, I was wandering down the corridor at work to the photocopier room, when a politician happened to be walking in my direction to their office. We caught eye contact around the point at which we were about to pass each other. Then said politician says (still looking at me) "Tally Ho!"

I was a little flummoxed, I mean, who ever syays "Tally Ho" anymore? And this was a Labour politician, too! Given the etymology of the phrase, namely probably deriving from the French taïaut, a cry used to excite hounds in deer hunting, I was a little thrown.

Anyway, before I had regained enough composure to respond, said politician dsappeared into their office. What should have been the appropriate response? Just in case it should happen again, I wouldn't want to offend my superiors with persistent non-Tally Hoing, y'know.

(lol)

3 Comments:

Blogger Pete Morton said...

Take it the politician wasn't Kate 'Countryside Alliance' Hoey?

11/07/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger Scrybe said...

Alas, it was not. Then I would have understood completely.

11/07/2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would say you were just hit on. It isn't so much to excite the hounds, but to tell the riders that a fox has been sighted. So, you'd be the fox. If the politician was male and you weren't looking particularly varmint like, I'd say you were hit on without your knowing it.

12/23/2008 5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home