Friday, December 15, 2006

The Happy Bunnyness of a Certain Scrybe Revealed. Fully.

I’ve only just got in*. I’ve been traversing the country today, and my return journey has been spent with a little smile on my little face. Scrybe is a happy bunny. A very happy bunny indeed, and about to tell you why….

Scrybe got “headhunted” – twice**! Both for serious research work!! Hence today’s trip (and the past week or so’s happy bunnyness), which was for an interview for the post I can now say I have accepted. It was, rather, a day spent getting familiar with the team I am working with and the projects I am working on, preceded by a brief “project-placement” and salary negotiation session. The latter was more a case of me sitting there in astonishment as my ideal starting salary was met and then some.

The team all seem to be fairly kewl, and my boss is an absolute legend…you might just recognise him……








Actually, that’s not him at all***, but a representation of him produced by a conveniently present sketch artist. My ‘line manager’ is also a particularly affable chap with whom I chatted prior to the “project placement” sesh.

The other “serious research post” I got “headhunted” for was a project based here…



Alas, I now have to decline that one. This is really a shame, since it was a fantastic research project and, more importantly, would have resulted in me having my own desk in the politics dept. of the university of which I am a recent alumnus (and anyone preparing to shout “Toff!” should recall this) and thus an interesting simple twist of fate (as a Mr. Dylan might sing) which would have seen me working alongside those who not so long ago tutored me. But I have to admit that I love my new job even more than I would love to have seized that once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I also become an occasional “commuter” (see picture below – bonus points for being able to discern the title of the book), which will be fun (for the first week or so, before the novelty wears off), but it does mean me exercising a modicum of responsibility vis avis not getting rat-arsed the night before a commute. A miniscule price to pay for what is, officially, The World’s Greatest Job.










Thus it is that a certain Scrybe’s happy bunnyness (and its social basis) has been revealed. But, for those of you who did not comprehend the nature of my current euphoria, please find it depicted for you in t-shirt form below…..




But!!! There are further reasons for Scrybe’s happy bunnyness. And they are, in no particular order…..

(a) Scrybe’s pseudonym shortly being in print….for researchy type stuff. Sort of.
(b) Scrybe’s general fancying of persons unnamed
(c) Scrybe’s financial security (as guaranteed by TWGJ – see, it does everything!)
(d) Scrybe’s New Series! To be innovatively entitled, “constituency Focus,” it shall, quite surprisingly, consist of a short series of “focus posts” exploring the issues pertinent to, and dynamics of, specific constituencies in and around LDN.


Oh, and soon….I shall know more about Bob Piper’s local area than Bob Piper himself! (This is partially true, but included purely to verify if he is reading…I await some interesting comments).


Now, who's coming to my celebration drinks? :-)




• Admittedly I got in a while a go, but blogger was playing up, so I typed this up in word.

** To be fair, “headhunted” is somewhat misleading, since I am not the only nor the best person in the country to do my job. Suffice it to say that neither post had been advertised and I got first refusal, so to speak, and those recruiting were rather receptive (eager?) about the idea of recruiting me. Update: that is being headhunted, according to Andrew Brown.

*** The pictures are, of course, of legendary supakewl actor Alan Rickman. My boss just resembles him, mannerism wise. Minus the surliness, thankfully. My boss may or may not have a page on the frankly shitty CiF - but even if he does, he still gets the kewl-vote (the kewl-vote is, of course, recognised by all leading psephologists).

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Yay! Congrats dude!

Although being from a Lab v Lib area, I'd appreciate it if you'd avoid the word 'focus'...

12/15/2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger Scrybe said...

will do ;-)

shit!!! notices typo and runs to blogger-editor

12/15/2006 10:08 PM  
Blogger Scrybe said...

fixed now :-)

12/15/2006 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats. I wouldn't venture too far into Bob's patch though, it's scary over there. ;)

12/15/2006 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, and in my world that's headhunted; definitely.

12/16/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Will Parbury said...

Buses and jobs eh. Nice one.

12/16/2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Bob Piper said...

skrybe... ignore the penguin, you're more than welcome to our world. Congrats on the job... I'm A1 happy for you, (of course I'm reading, I said I would didn't I)

12/16/2006 2:54 PM  
Blogger Bob Piper said...

(sorry... that is scrybe... not Skrybe... obviously reading, but not carefully enough)

12/16/2006 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff! Well done!

12/16/2006 6:34 PM  
Blogger Scrybe said...

aww, thanks to everyone who posted with "congrats" messages (extended to the Hamers who posted theirs on my "books" post). I'm mega-excited about the prospect - we aim to become the foremost Institute in our area across Europe, so you might gain a knowledge of which Institue I work for and what we do by the topics of some of my future posts.

I was honestly flabbergasted to get recruited like this. I knew my boos from earlier events and had arranged a meeting with him pertaining to some work I was doing for my MP. He kicked off the meeting by trying to ascertain if I was getting a job with said MP full time in the new year. I very diplomatically blamed lack of funding for the reason why I would not be continuing in my post there (rather than the fact that I would have quite possibly refused such an offer), only to have him try to poach me! He asked if I had a cv and, luckily, I had just updated it and printed it off, so I had one n hand. It was, of course, tweaked towards Labour MPs (with whom I was then primarily seeking employment), but as we have seen, that didn't matter one jot.

And having typed all that, this being an old post, I bet no one reads it.

;-)

12/17/2006 12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home