Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Jon Cruddas on the Phone... Web Exclusive.

Jon Cruddas MP for Barking and Dagenham, and also one of the candidates for the deputy leadership, has announced that he will be holding a conference early next week for bloggers and members of the facebook group.

Participants will be able to speak to Jon about his campaign plans, and there will be a Q&A session as part of the event. From what I hear, it will take place by phone, although I am yet to receive the full details.

This is a fantastic opportunity for bloggers to probe the mind of one of the most interesting deputy leadership candidates standing so far. It is also a web-exclusive, since there will be no mainstream media people involved (to the best of my knowledge).

I'm definitely going to particiate, and shall be blogging about it afterwards. It is a shame none of the other candidates have considered this a worthy way of interacting with the grassroots supporters, as it would have been brilliant to be able to do a blogging-interview series, of sorts. But Jon has made the decision to get involved, so I'll be supporting that, and hoping that the other candidates start to realise how useful such endeavours could be.

If you have any questions that you would like me to ask him, don't hesitate to post them here, and I'll do my best to get them asked. If you are a fellow blogger or facebooker, perhaps you would prefer to join the event yourself. Anyone can sign up to faceboook, and the Cruddas group is called "Cruddas for Deputy" - you can search for it once you have joined. The details of how to become involved were released there first, so its really worth joining if you want to stay ahead of the rest when it comes to knwoing what's going on, Marvin Gaye would say.

I may update this post over the weekend a I get more information about it.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah well, rules me out as I'll be out of the country. :-)

12/13/2006 4:10 PM  
Blogger Scrybe said...

that's a shame :(

but hopefully Jon will continue his activism in this area so there'll be a future opportunity for you to partiipate. perhaps the other deputy candidates might follow his lead, also.

where are you headed?

12/13/2006 4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going here.

I have to say that I'm not yet convinced about Jon. I wonder whether the idea of being outside of the cabinet is a good one; how will collective responsibility work, and how do we make sure we don't return to the days where sections of the leadership of the party tried to work up divisions between activists and the politicians leading the party.

That said some of the things he's saying about reforming the party sound useful and interesting. So I'm still listening.

12/13/2006 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew, Jon hasn't said he doesn't want to be in the cabinet, just that he doesn't want to be Deputy Prime Minister because he wants to concentrate on rebuilding the party. There is no reason why the Deputy Leader should not be in the cabinet but that's for the new leader and the party to decide when that time arrives. Scrybe is right, Jon is the most interesting candidate with the most to offer. I am delighted so many more people are now moving towards supporting him. If Jon gets onto the ballot he is going to run an absolutely storm of a campaign.

12/14/2006 12:15 AM  
Blogger Scrybe said...

Miranda,

any comments which include the phrase "Scrybe is right" bring a smile to my face, j/p.

Glad to see you're supporting Jon - I think he'll get on the ballot and, with any luck, I'll be posting shortly with a little exclusive on that (send minions back out to collect more info), so watch this space.

I'm also going to be posting more regularly on the deputy contest and all the candidates involved in the new year - I would very much like to welcome you to participate in the comments section on that. But I tihkn we both know that Jon Cruddas is the only serious candidate, if it is based on ideas, integrity, and personality/leadership qualities.

12/14/2006 12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Miranda, I hadn't appreciated the distinction.

12/14/2006 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home